Monday, November 8, 2010

Joining Thread - Penny Rug Tutorial

 I've been asked how I join my thread when I'm part way around a penny. 
Mostly, I measure out lengths that will get me all the way around a penny so that I don't have to do a  join.
 As illustrated in a former post of mine,
 stitching some penny stacks
But, sometimes I will use some short lengths of thread, those precious hand dyed pieces. 

Finish your stitch as below,


Bring your thread around to the back and make a careful back stitch into the back of your penny. 
 Try not to have it show on the front side of your penny.

 As shown below, cut the thread and start a new one with,
 again, a careful back stitch in the back of the penny.
A back stitch is a small stitch that you repeat upon itself,
 essentially, back stitch on itself.  It is very strong.
And it's not lumpy, like a knot
  Then bring your needle up into your last blanket stitch.
In the fuzzy (sorry) photo below I've brought the needle up
 so that I haven't skipped or changed my last stitch, just as though I didn't run out of thread.
 
 Continue stitching

I'm working on a new penny rug tutorial,
single pennies on a cotton sack,
not done yet, but getting there.
Here's my rug so far.





7 comments:

  1. I am a bit of a penny rug novice but I love making them and appreciate the tips on your blog so much...this one on joining thread as you go around a penny was really helpful for me. I posted photos of my first two finished projects on my blog yesterday in a post entitled "Nancy's Craft Room"...with your tips, the one I am working on now (for next Christmas!) should go more smoothly...thanks! A belated Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cheryl, glad I could help! I'm still working on this rug, soon to be a tutorial. (I've been a slow stitcher this year.) And Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your site. Quick question -- when you triple stitch around the penny rug, do you do it in three steps or three threads at one time? Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie, I think you're asking about the corner? Three stitches in one spot, same thread, turning the corner as you go keeping the inside stitch in the same spot. I show it in the Tutorial - Needlepoint or Sewing Clutch , and a close up of a corner in the The Makings of a Penny Rug, by Colleen MacKinnon. If I've got your question wrong and you'd like to email me using the link "Contact Me" under my profile I will be glad to answer you further.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your tutorials on YouTube and then your sight. I am brand spankin' new at this but have alwasy been drawn to penny rugs. Stitching my first small ornament as I watch and learn. Thanks for having this blog and the videos as well. I looked at three different ones, then found yours and it helped me the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad my tutorials are helping you. Have fun with your new penny rug crafting!

      Delete